Saturday 7 October 2017

My sewing has failed...

I have to admit with some chagrin, the first instance of my sewing failing. Walking along, and .... my bag is on the ground.

2½ years ago, one of the 2 buckles (the prongs on the male part) connecting the shoulder strap to the Messenge’mups broke. Three years of anywhere between 5 to 30 pound loads hanging from those delrin side release buckles - for easily many thousands of hours - that was its limit revealed. (The breakage hierarchy is hardware, thread, webbing and then fabric.)

Since the 2" webbing was sewn right along the entire length of the back, right into the seams, my only option for repair was to hacksaw off the buckle, take a piece of 2" webbing, another buckle and sew it to the existent webbing. Easy. Took my usual approach, a needle and thread and fixed it. Meant to bartack it, but it was put off for so many more pressing, and let’s face it, fun projects.

So, 2½ years of once again, thousands of hours of heavy - way too heavy - loads, and the standard 69# thread gave out. Buckle’s fine. Thread broke.

I've been trying really hard for many years to destroy what I make. I like it and all, but I have to see what it can withstand. And this is without doubt the most strained part of anything I’ve made. The way I do stuff is maybe a bit weird, but I’m still fairly confident in the results.

Good thing I have more than one bag to use till I fix this.

No comments:

Post a Comment