Saturday 14 April 2012

Bibliophilia: Marvel 1602 by Neil Gaiman

Marvel 1602 – Neil Gaiman

Characters from the Marvel universe, set in Elizabethan times. Not much of a fan of Marvel comics, but I am a big fan of Neil Gaiman. Not disappointed at all. He shows his usual flair. Some of the characters I wasn’t that familiar with. Some I was, but the way they were all handled was great. 
The covers for the eight individual editions were another part of what drew me to it. Done by Stratford, Ontario native Scott McKowen, whose work I’ve admired for a long time, they were a wonderful accompaniment to the art inside the books.

2 comments:

  1. I liked the premise of 1602. Thought it was a bit too esoteric of a period for most readers. DC Comics did something similar that really never caught on much. They had Batman in Victorian times called "Gotham By Gaslight." A batman origin story as if he were living in 1889. I liked it, but it never caught on. It did spring all of their "Elsworld" alternate version stories, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have several of the Gotham by Gaslight novels. I enjoyed them a lot.

      Another one you might enjoy, is Baker Street by Guy Davis. It came out 22, 23 years ago, and was published by a small Michigan company. Sherlock Holmes is a female punk rocker in a modern, alternate reality, Victorian England. Steam punk before there was steam punk.

      http://www.amazon.com/Honour-Among-Punks-Complete-Graphic/dp/0743459040#_

      Delete