Saturday 29 October 2011

Chairless

I’m all for free enterprise, and I dig a clever idea as much as the next guy, but this one has me shaking my head.

It’s a product from Vitra called Chairless, and the designer is Alejandro Aravena although I guess he got his inspiration from the Ayoreo Indians from Paraguay.

It’s essentially a strap that encircles the back and the knees and provides support when sitting on the ground. I have no doubt that it works. Certainly it’s small and lightweight, great for camping and such. And a strap could serve more than one purpose.
My objection to it is that they want €19.90 or about $27 Cdn. Uhhhmmmm....I applaud anyone’s entrepreneurial spirit, but I also applaud anyone’s DIY spirit. It is essentially 27¢ worth of seatbelt webbing, an elastic hairband and a few minutes of sewing. It’s a DIY project I could take hiking with me and complete under my hammock’s tarp while I boil water for a cup of tea. Making an honest buck is fine. Charging kooky money for something that anyone with a pair of oppose-able thumbs, a pair of functioning eyeballs and a bit of coordination could do? Come on.

No comments:

Post a Comment