Friday 17 December 2010

Camer’mups

A few months back I did a review of the GSI N-Case 840 I received and use as a protective case for a digital camera.

As part of the waist pack I’m designing and building, I wanted a pouch that I could carry it in. 

Rather than a regular flap closure, I wanted to make it so I merely had something to retain the case in the pouch, but also quickly open it and retrieve the camera. I though for quite a while how best to achieve that.

Going through my extensive collection of hardware, I found a side release buckle that instead of taking webbing at both ends, took webbing at one end and and parachute cord at the other. Hhhmmmmhhh....
The back features my super duper new CLASP (Cord Lattice Attachment System Pattern).
Drain hole on the bottom.
With the GSI N-Case 840 inside.
When it’s attached to the front of the waist pack, I’ll be able to very easily undo the buckle, open the case, and pull out the camera. If I know I’m going to keep the camera in use for a while, it’s just as easy to close the hatch back up, and put the cord back over the top and snap the buckle in place.

If I dont close the buckle again, there is a chance the case itself might fall out. I only have one of these cases, and since I tend to move it around a bit from bag to bag, I may just get another one. With the lanyard attachment point on the bottom corner, I can attach the second case into the bottom corner of the pouch with a bit of cord. That way if I want to take the camera along in another setup, all I have to do is take out the camera, put it in the other case, and away I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment