Monday 22 March 2010

Logo – Dish

Back in 95 or so, I visited some friends, one of whom was starting a food and restaurant themed fanzine. As a thanks for putting me up for the weekend I drew a logo for the cover of it.

She suggested the sort of lettering found on 1950’s refrigerators. I thought that was great, as I had really been digging some of the typefaces Leslie Cabarga had just released (Magneto, Streamline, Rocket Regular, Neon Stream, Raceway). They (and I’m sure some other faces) served as inspiration. I didn’t have any of Mr. Cabarga’s cool faces, my computer with its digital toolbox was back at home (a laptop was merely a wild dream for me then), and the old PC they had was woefully underpowered and the “best” software on it was MS Word.

So I took a sheet of vellum, a non repro blue tech pencil and some Micron markers I had on me, a ruler and some french curves they had, and drew this out by hand. Something I hadn’t done in a while, but rather fun nonetheless.
Afterwards I took it home and traced it in Fontographer. A scan worked fine for a photocopied fanzine, but the perfectionist in me wanted to tweak it a little.

The ˙ of the i was meant to serve as a spot where things like the date, issue number and/or price could be placed.

No comments:

Post a Comment