Wednesday 9 December 2009

Specter Gear Light Pouch Modification

I got a Specter Gear Surefire 6P/G2 Light Pouch a few years ago. All in all a great pouch, the first pouch I got with a Natick Snap. But wait for it, there were some things I wanted to change.

The first was of course the Velcro closure. I removed it and replaced it with a side release buckle. The other thing I decided to alter was the floating lid. If you have a flashlight with a large bezel, such as the SureFire M-4 Devastator, you can adjust the lid so that it covers it. I knew that I just wanted to use this for the SureFire G2 Nitrolon. (sadly about the only SureFire light I can afford.) That change also made getting the light in and out a little easier. The floating lid had hook Velcro that went all the way to the bottom. Removing the webbing and the Velcro made for a less snug fit.
Mods sewn by hand. Not pretty, but they work.
I found that a Walkman strap I had kicking around fit perfectly. Remove the tail cap, put the loop on and screw the tail cap back on. Like it was made for it. Makes a good wrist loop.

This pouch also fits the the Fenix T1 perfectly.

2 comments:

  1. Hello again!
    Query:
    Do you hand-sew your projects, or use a machine? Also, what type of thread do you use?
    Thanks-
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of what I’ve shown here so far has been done by hand. Partly because I don’t at this point have a machine that can handle several layers of webbing and cordura. But also because I spent 4 years commuting about 4 hours a day to work and home on the train. Sewing stuff was something I could do on the train and not feel like I was wasting a big chunk of my day. It obviously takes longer than a machine could do it, and it doesn’t look as neat, but I’ve had no problems with the durability of it.

    I like Coats upholstery thread. Not the broadest range of colours, but enough to suffice. Guttermans thread is terrible.

    I do have a machine (a fairly standard Singer) that I sew lighter stuff on – tarps, stuff sacks, quilts and underquilts for hammocks, pack rain covers, things like that.

    ReplyDelete