Tuesday 8 December 2009

Carroll’s Point

I’ve been eyeing the little spit of land jutting out into Burlington Bay over by the Woodland Cemetery for years now and decided to see if I could go and explore it. 
Carroll’s Point slightly off to the right of the centre of the pic. Mount Nemo off in the distance on the left.
Hamilton Harbour off in the distance.
Another perspective on Carroll’s Point.
Valley Inn Road has recently been closed to car traffic. (yippee!) There was an old Bailey bridge crossing the waterway, and it was decided that replacing the bridge for the volume of traffic that actually crossed it wasn’t worth it. A walkway bridge has been bolted over top if it, and the road barricaded. This looks back the way I had come, with the McQuesten High Level Bridge in the centre of the picture.
Carroll’s Point as seen through the trees along the cliff. I cut along the edge of the Woodland Cemetery in an effort to find a trail that led down.
From the other side it doesn’t look like it’s up that high, but I suspect that it has to be at least 5, 6, 7 stories high. 
Of course I left my house a bit too late, because I was fiddling around with some gear that I had made that I wanted to take photos of. (Big surprise.)

I went right to the point above C.P. and tried to find a route down that way. I made my way down about 20 meters, but saw that I had to go through a little gulch (which had some hand and footholds) but that at the bottom of that gulch was an almost vertical drop of at least about 3 stories. Nah. Off to my right, I could see a faint trail, so I back tracked and found the start of it. Much less chance of killing myself this way.
Looking up the shore line of Burlington towards the Skyway Bridge.
Looking across the Bay towards Hamilton Harbour. If it wasn’t for the blight of heavy industry, I firmly maintain that Hamilton might well be one of the nicest places in Canada to live. Not that it’s the worst place now, but it would be even more desirable if it wasn’t for the smelters and refineries.
And pivoting to the right, looking towards the Iroquis Bar and the Escarpment beyond that.
On the other side of the spit looking towards the McQuesten High Level Bridge.

I found some evidence that people come here sometimes (a remnant of a fire at the tip, a few cans and beer bottles {cleaned up a few, but didn’t have enough room in my pack for more – good excuse to come again}) but I doubt it’s very many. I suspect more people access this spot by boat then on foot. (In the summer I see many sail boats anchored in the cove.) It’s likely too out of the way for very many scroats to come here for a bush bash. 


I hung out for a while, ate some oranges, took some photos of the gear setup I’d wanted to record, had a delicious after oranges aperitif, and snapped some last photos. Too cold to hang out much longer, especially with the wind blowing across the water.
Made my way back up the cliff, back through the cemetery, and home.

I know that the cemetery was at one point the Carroll family farm who deeded it to the city to become a burial ground. The Carroll’s were among the first European settlers in the area. All I could think was how incredible it must have been to go to the new world, and arrive there, and discover that that was your farm. Wow. Cliff top farm, verdant land, surrounded by water, abundant game and fish, nice view, oh and a neat little spit at the bottom of your property.

No comments:

Post a Comment