Wednesday 28 October 2009

Typeface Design – Poser

Back in 95 I was doing a weekly poster for a club night. Every weeks poster was different and each time I would draw very loose, cartoony lettering for it. The style was kept very similar, but the letterforms were all slightly different each time. Eventually I took all of the letterforms I had drawn, compiled them into three separate fonts and finished off any missing letters or symbols. I deliberately kept all of their inherent flaws, IE weights being off, just to keep that crude hand lettered aesthetic I had been going for.
One thing that always annoys me is when I see type that is supposed to be hand rendered, and the same distinctive letter shapes keep leaping out at you. How hard is it to convert type to outlines and tweak the forms a bit, so that it really does look like it was hand rendered? That’s why I did three variants, so that I could mix and match different letters, to try and avoid that obvious “set on a computer” look.

No comments:

Post a Comment