Thursday 8 October 2009

Typeface Design – Amazon

Back in ’96 I had been asked by a magazine publisher to do a version of Bodoni for them. I thought it was kind of silly – the world needs another variant of Bodoni like I need another inch of height. But it ended up being really fun – it gave me an appreciation for the typeface and the history of it I never had before. I completed it, but it never really went anywhere – the magazine (an imprint of a big publisher) never did see the light of day.

Later I was working on some magazine layouts and wanted an elegant titling face, in a bit of a Didot vein. I guess I could have gone out and bought something, but there is no fun in that. I still had some ideas left over from my take on Bodoni (which I ended up calling Boloni) and I used them here. This is from the ’96-’97 time frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment