Saturday 10 October 2009

Patent Illustrations

Worked a gig (a very odd gig) drawing patent illustrations. Got in drawings by the inventor, which ranged from needing a bit of polishing, to barely legible scribbles. I then had to make them presentable to the Patent Office. Who are very particular about how patent illustrations must be presented. Never got in a written description of what it was I was working on. Which I guess makes sense. Compartmentalization and all that. But it made it really hard sometimes. With a description you can infer some meanings here and there, but with just a rough drawing it’s hard to figure out how to correct things in some cases. Still, it was a valuable experience in that I got to learn something about how the whole patenting process works. And it was doing very precise technical drawing, drafting, which I enjoy.

I guess this is some sort of underwater pipe boring, cable laying device.

No comments:

Post a Comment