Thursday 22 October 2009

Colour Copies Poster

One of my jobs while at St. Joseph (actually what role didn’t I fulfill while I was there), was to go around to sites and teach the people there about using the software they had. One of the sites wanted a poster to hang in the window to advertise colour copies. I figured it was a good opportunity to do something fun and show the guy there some basic stuff about Illustrator. The site did have some clip art available, so I utilized it as a starting point.
Took this image of a pressman, a vase with flowers, a starburst and some paint splatters I pulled from another image…
…and changed it into this. It gave me the opportunity to show some basic item selection and manipulation, bezier curve point placement and manipulation, using layers, applying colour, applying gradients, setting text, text on a curve, etc. There was a lot more I would have liked to have done to it, but as far as showing a good number of basic Illustrator concepts in one day, and giving them an eye catching poster at the same time, I think it worked okay.

Clip art can be rather limiting sometimes, but if you use it as a starting point and go from there, it has its uses. Like most everything else in life, I’m never really satisfied with stock anything, and have an incessant compulsion to tweak things to my liking, and that extends to clip art.

No comments:

Post a Comment