Saturday 5 September 2009

Signal Panel

While I tend to prefer fairly subdued colours out in the woods, I do also recognize the value of being very visible at times.

I wanted to make a signal panel, but wanted to keep both the weight and the bulk of it down. Scouring fabric stores, I finally found some shimmery orange tafetta at King Textiles in Toronto. Taking some orange 550 cord with the inner strands removed, I sewed it around the edges so that I could tie to to something to prevent it blowing away. It’s about a meter by a meter.

Should I ever get hurt and/or lost out in a  remote area, I can make it easier for searchers to find me. During hunting season I can lash it to the outside of my pack or tie it to the tarp over my hammock, in order to make myself even more visible. It isn’t glow in the dark neon orange, but it does make me more spottable without taking up a lot of room or adding much to my burden.

No comments:

Post a Comment