Tuesday 29 September 2009

Modified Kukri Sheath

My Cold Steel LTC kukri is an awesome tool. It functions as a very serviceable blend between a machete and a hatchet. (They don’t make that particular model anymore, but they do make the Gurkha Kukri. Wouldn’t mind getting one of those, but would probably prefer a real deal from Himalyan-Imports more.)

But, the sheath left a lot to be desired. Surprise, surprise.

I thought of making one out of Kydex, but opted to use what was there already. Of course, I neglected to take a picture before I tore into it. Whoops.
The front. The knife was held in the scabbard by a strap that was attached at the back and came over the slit in the side and closed with a snap.
I took a hacksaw to the snap to remove it from the surface. Crude, but it was going to be covered, so, so what.
The back. The sheath had a leather loop to attach it to a belt. That got the hacksaw treatment as well.
Then I marked out spots along the outer edge, and drilled holes.
Closeup of the Dremel inflicted punctures.
Holes along the scabbard opening. I ran a round bit through here, in an effort to create a groove for the eventual cord to lie in. With a razor sharp knife running right near them as it’s being resheathed, I wanted to make sure that I did everything I could to protect it. Of course a Dremel runs at such an insane speed, it didn’t look so perfect in the end. Oh well. It still worked out in the end.
With a bit of finagling, I marked and cut two pieces of Cordura to perfectly fit the two sides. Each had about a 1⁄4 inch seam allowance. This got stitched down first. Then came the PALS webbing.
Back side.
Some close-ups. I sewed this portion of it hanging out with my mom in the hospital, and while traveling up there to see her.
The two sides.
When that was done, I smeared 3M marine adhesive sealant (likely among the strongest adhesive available – it’s used to glue windows into sail boats – the guy at Jenco said “if this stuff won’t hold it, nothing will.” All right then.) on both sides of the sheath and carefully positioned the material in place.
This was then taped, clamped and weighted down for a week.
After that I used a Stewart Stitcher to add lock stitches through the pre drilled holes. (Earlier, after drilling the holes, I had marked them with a white dash to indicate where they were along the edge of the sheath. Made it much easier.) While the marine cement should theoretically be strong enough to hold it, the edges are of course the area that would likely work loose, just due to wear and tear. This one two punch should hold everything together perfectly. And after three years, it’s doing fine.
Created my own camo pattern: Multifleckcadmarcampatoflage©®™
I had intended to paint the whitish lock stitches with OD modelling paint to make them less obvious. Having the bin with spray paint and modelling paint open was too much of a temptation. One thing led to another and before I knew it, I had camouflaged the whole thing.
I had these squarish cord locks, and they were perfect for the purposes of a closure mechanism.
I put a D-ring on the bottom, so that if I ever want to wear it on a belt (unlikely), I can attach a piece of cord to tie it to my leg so that it doesn’t flap around. (After wearing it on my belt for a summer of bushwhacking, the memory of the bruises on my rib cage from having the handle jammed into my ribs as I clambered over fallen trees, is enough to dissuade me from ever doing that again.)
A closer look at the cord lock closure. Very simple and very effective. Squeeze, pull the tabs and that either opens or closes it. Even with gloves on, I have no trouble manipulating it. The great thing about using this for a closure is that I can cinch it down tight (much more securely than the snap it replaces), and yet if I have to pull it out and resheath it frequently, I can leave it loose, and still remain confident that it’ll stay put. Once the snap was undone, there was nothing to prevent it falling out, if I was bent forward for instance. A two pound, foot long, razor sharp blade is not something you want to have fall out. Even at its loosest setting, the cord holds it in place.
Some close-ups of the cord in the groove I carved. I put it in three sections of lock stitched cord. Two separate ones along each side of the opening, and one along the closed section of the scabbard. If I ever need to replace an area, it’s easier if it isn’t all one long piece.

With this modification, I can now mount it on a belt, underneath my arm on a rig, or mounted on the side of a pack. High, low, right, left, horizontal, vertical. Whatever works best. With the belt loop of the stock sheath, I had one option: wear it on my belt on the left side, hanging down low. An option I wasn’t so fond of.

And just for fun, some closeups of the blade.

I’ve chopped a lot of wood with this thing over the last dozen years. Still going strong.
Playing around with some different approaches on how to carry it, I tried a Kifaru shoulder strap, one repair side release buckle through a PALS channel on one side and one through a PALS channel on another side. Works well.

6 comments:

  1. How did you do the camouflage?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few passes with two colours from a rattlecan and then I just used a brush with Tamiya modelling paint. I didn’t use a stencil, just did the pixel shapes freehand.

    I didn’t really mean to, but I was having so much fun I got carried away.

    Severely tempted to camouflage everything else I have now, not because I have any real need for stuff to be camouflaged, but because it is fun to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those things are fantastic choppers. I am not fond of the handle at all. The only thing holding that handle in place is the brass thong-hole tubing. That's it. I put a G10 handle on one of those a few years back and it made it into a whole new knife. Fantastic difference. If I ever were to buy one, I think that would probably be the first mod that I would do to it. Well... That and put some new kydex on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh oh. That's a disconcerting thing to hear. But, personally I've never found the handle uncomfortable to use (a complaint I've heard from others), and so far, the handle has held up fine.

    I saw somewhere someone who put a wood handle on one of the CS kukhri machetes. A G10 handle might be a fun project one day though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thomas, have I asked you before if you've checked out M40's webpage and his Kukri modifications? My rattled brain cannot remember. I have owned one of the issued Kukri's for years but finally got brave enough to copy...er...I mean do some of the modifications that he has done. I shaved the handle down, made a PATHETIC attempt at a new sheath, etc. The coolest thing I did was treat the blade with OxPho blue. That stuff is sweet. The blade is now a beautiful black. www.m4040.com is the link for Mike's page. He's a bit...ummmm...different...but he has some neat ideas and stuff. Much like you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whaaat?! Are you saying I’m different?!

    Yeah I have seen his page, and the mod you speak of, but haven’t swung by there in a while. I have it bookmarked, but just haven’t clicked on the link in a while. I will swing by in a sec.

    I have heard others offer up gripes about the CS Kukhri, but I have no complaints about it. One of the gripes was about the black finish on the blade. It’s never bothered me any. I always figured it helped protect the blade from rust.

    My only gripe about it was the sheath, and as the article indicates (in probably way too much detail) I changed into something that suited me better. But the tool itself has served me well over the dozen or so years I’ve used it.

    ReplyDelete