Thursday 10 September 2009

Hussif

A “hussif” is an obscure term for a sewing kit. I knew it was a British military term, but always assumed that it was a Hindi or perhaps Arabic term. I think now that it may be a bastardized term. For a long time the British military was issued a sewing kit that was colloquially known as a “housewife.” I suspect that some of the finer speakers of the English language had difficulty saying that and that it became a “hussif” instead. (Kind of like how Worcestershire became “woostusha.”)

There is your obscure term for the day.
I use two pieces of double sided velcro to hold it all together. It serves that purpose, and if I need some velcro, I can take some scissors and cut off either the hook or the loop part, and away I go.
The cloth is part of an old pair of Canadian Army pants.
Unwrapped. You can tell that part of the corner has already been used to repair something.

The only thing missing (and that is usually in there), is a length of webbing. I ran out for one of my projects, used it, and forgot to put some back in there when I took these photos.
1. Different sizes and colours of velcro
2. Paper Tape Measure
3. Variety of Needles
4. Safety Pins
5. 3 Sizes of D-Rings
6. Shock Cord
7. CordLoc
8. Assortment of Buttons
9. Assortment of Thread
10. Repair Ladder Locks
11. Repair SRB
12. Cord
The tape measure is a bit chintzy, but it’s light and folds down small. It’s survived for 5 years, so I’ll just leave it in there.
Sharp pointy things.
Closeup of the needles.
Buttons. The Canadian slotted buttons are great, but I’ve got most other ones I could conceivably need. Even some white ones for a dress shirt. (Yeah, cause I wear those so often.)

The only things I added to this since these pictures were taken are some 1" webbing as mentioned, and a rubber thimble, the kind you get at a stationery store, the knobby ones for flicking through paper.
I like them better than proper thimbles because they actually fit me and they allow me to actually grip the needle. Probably an unorthodox approach, but they’ve served me well for years of hand sewing all sorts of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment