Wednesday 2 September 2009

Hitchcraft - Victorinox Huntsman

I put a fob on my beloved Victorinox Huntsman and even went so far as to have it be colour coordinated. 

I also attached a Light My Fire FireSteel to it. It’s the standard model, but I put it in a lathe and turned the handle down, to reduce the bulk. I also put a piece of shrink tubing over it to prevent oxidization of the ferrocerium. The only drawback to the firesteel is that as soon as you use it, it begins to corrode. I took the shrink tubing off since that photo was taken and as I suspected, it did oxidize. It was coated in a fine grey dust and was quite pitted. I cleaned it off as best I could, tested it again (it does still spark) and this time coated it in nail polish, and then put some more shrink tubing over it.  

2 comments:

  1. Did you color coordinate the nail polish also? maybe fire engine red? LOL had to ask,,, JR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. A friend had a little jar of black nail polish that was down to dregs and she gave me that to use.

    ReplyDelete